Friday, July 25, 2014

would he be happy with a walrus?

I am still working away on the "San Jose Sharks" duvet cover.  I sent a text to  my daughter explaining that I was having some difficulty with this project and asked her if her boyfriend  would be just as happy if it looked like a walrus!!   mmmmmm ......maybe not??

OK then! Back to the construction!!

I added the adjacent side and sewed it to the foundation sheet. Once I had positioned the black fabric and sewed it down, I flipped it over and trimmed away the excess fabric from the grey background.

Then I placed the teal "body" and pinned it in place.

I decided it needed some slashes of contrast, so added a little "fin" and a slash of black to break up the teal blue.

I sewed the "fin" in place first, just appliqued on the top, and sewed one side of the body and the point in place.  Then did the flip and trim of the black fabric underneath  to reduce the bulk. Next I sewed down the other side of the body. I did some trimming under this side as well, but had to kind of turn the whole thing  inside out to get at it.

I top-stitched all the seams, so hopefully that will keep everything nice and flat. Once the body was secured down, I added the black slash...again just appliqued to the top. It will be 3 layers thick at this point, but it is a small section so hope it will be ok.

This is the official logo, and although I didnt want to actually reproduce it, I did want it to be recognizable. What do you think?  did I get it ?


So the design portion of the duvet cover is complete!! It measures 75" x 75" so I now need to add some borders to make it up to 86" x 86", which is the size of the duvet. I am thinking of using some grey and black borders to frame it.

Then the final phase will be attaching a back to make the envelope for the duvet!!
Slowly but surely , it is coming together!!

Tips I have learned from this:

  • the foundation sheet was a huge help, not only in keeping the size correct, but in providing a stable "constant"
  • tape the sheet to the floor so it is possible to move the other pieces around and keep the foundation in place. I used Gorilla Tape.......sort of like Duct Tape only stronger! 
  • go slowly!!  Pin and reposition frequently.  I would pin the layers in place to check and then take out all the pins for the top layers, sew a bit then recheck to be sure it was all working together. 

8 comments:

  1. I think you did quite well with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!! It is amazing!!!!! Wow!!!!! I am looking forward to seeing it finished!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great representation of the San Jose shark. He'll love it, I'm sure.
    I've been wanting to make myself a hockey quilt using my team colours but I don't want to use the logo at all. Just the three colours- green, blue and white. I can't come up with a pattern I like that uses only 3 colours though. I might just go with a Fence Rail......not my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have a great idea for the borders. Like the shark. Thanks for coming by to the Hexie Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good to me! That's a real brain exercise for sure! I think it will look great and he will love it. Can't wait to see it finished! (I bet you can't either, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! His loss on the walrus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you did get it!! Great work. I don't think I could interpret someone's ideas like that. Is he happy with it?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!