Wednesday, May 16, 2012

On the Road Project

I am going to be doing some travelling over the next few weeks. I am not scheduled to work for a couple of week, so I am going along on my husband's business trip. So that means that I will have quite a lot of time to myself during the day...mostly in a hotel.
I do like to walk, and will probably go to the work-out room .....

( that sounds like a well intentioned statement doesn't it??) , but that won't fill the day!! 

I really am not a shopper .....I know, I am probably the only women in North America that hates to shop, but, that isn't my thing, I only last about an hour!




So I decided to find a project that I can take along...without taking my sewing machine.
I did a sample block of needle turn appliqué a while ago, and that looked like something that would be easy to pack, and I could practice my needle turn skills.  So I saw this pattern in one of by books...

The book states that it is actually a very old pattern, inspired by Marie Webster, a quilt designer in the early 1900's! I love the antique look to it.

So off I went to the fabric store!  I was fortunate enough to meet Dorothy,  a lady from our quilting guild, there. She was the "Featured Quilter" at the 2011 Quilt Show, and had some amazing quilts on display. You can check out some of her work on their website. Anyway, she was so kind, and offered me lots of advice on what the best fabric choices would be. She suggested Heritage Cotton, in plain colours, no prints, if I wanted to stay true to the original concept. Thank you Dorothy!

Now....I really don't know what I am doing here...I am no expert...so if you see that I have gone astray, please let me know!!

I traced the pieces onto plastic loose leaf dividers...

Then drew around the template, adding a 1/4 " seam allowance to turn under. (it looks bigger, but really is 1/4")

I folded the fabric so that I was cutting several at a time (I am lazy!!)



Then cut my bias strips to make the stems.

I will have to sew these, and press them with my new pressing sticks..I haven't tired them out yet though.

The background blocks are 8" ...and the pattern says they will be trimmed to 7 1/2" when the appliqué is done.

I also traced the block pattern onto the plastic too, to help me with accurate piece placement..

So I guess I really haven't done anything yet, but will pack all these bits and pieces up and take them with me, and see how it goes!! Stay tuned!!

Thats my work in progress this week, so I am linking up to the Needle and Thread Network,

and Lee's Work in Progress Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.


15 comments:

  1. Gosh looks good to me!! enjoy your time away.
    This will make a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gong to be a beautiful quilt.... enjoy the process.
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. that will be pretty and fun to work on. I too am not a shopper - I tend to know what I am looking for - go get it and come home. Sometimes if I don't know for sure what I want I tend to wander and get so irritated. I am not a shopper!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to explore your new location! I travel all over the world with my husband, while he works I sightsee, look for museums, gardens, nature trails, I'm not a shopper either :0).

    Safe travels and Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care much for shopping either. My husband loves to shop though...lol
    Looks like you have a fun project to take with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the crazy pictures! The frog is awesome!
    I'm not one for shopping either!
    The project looks rather interesting! Hope it all goes well and I'll be here waiting to see the updates! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like there are alot who do not enjoy the sport of shopping but technically I don't count myself in that bunch. I don't like retail stores but love to wander in second hand shops and antique places, tho I rarely buy much of anything.

    It looks like you are well prepared for the applique, the only thing that I would add is that you need not add the seam allowance to the template. I learned that you made the template the same as the pattern piece and drew a light pencil line around it, then when cutting out you would make the turn under allowance less than a 1/4 inch in order to avoid bulk in the inside curves. The pencil line is on the top side and when you needle turn it you make sure that the line is just slightly turned under. I am sure there are methods other than this one, so try it the way you have started and just keep in mind the method I described to try next time.

    will be waiting to see the result of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect project to take along with you, Flo! I haven't done this kind of needle turn appliqué before, but what you have shown looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really amazing - you've done the hard work, I think, and can enjoy just stitching! Love the pattern. I wouldn't mind lazing about a hotel room for a couple of weeks, that sounds really good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember seeing that pattern. It is lovely and you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've become quite addicted to hand work lately, and we're heading out on a road trip and I have nothing to take along! AACK! So your post is a good one to remind me to cut something out tomorrow, in between all the last minute preparations that come with going away.

    I think you applique project will be so lovely. Look forward to the progress reports!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure are getting prepared! I love your design. Yet again, I have an applique WIP that I should get out...It seems that after visiting every blog this week, I am unearthing more and more of my own WIPs! Enjoy your road trip!

      Delete
  12. Looks like you are well prepared! This looks like a great take-along project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your plan to get some handwork done is a better one than mine - I wonder whether I'll have to break a leg to take the time.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be such a pretty quilt. Hand appliqué is very soothing. So much more fun than shopping. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!