Monday, February 21, 2011

Chalk Challenged!

I decided to try out using a template for the border on this quilt.  I had bought this one quite awhile ago, before I actually knew what to do with it !!!

The helpful lady at the quilt store explained that you mark the template onto the quilt with chalk, so I also bought some chalk to mark it on the border.  I tried 3 different kinds, one is called a magic crayon (and I really, really, really hope that it washes out like they say it does !!!)

But...I had a lot of trouble.
First of all, the pattern on the template had 4 "loops" which didn't make a lot of sense to me, because it would be difficult to continuously quilt it that way....so I modified it and only went with 3 loops.
Next, the chalk/crayon.      It didn't seem to mark very well, or very easily. ...and it broke....It was taking a long time to mark, and even though I only did one side at a time, some of the chalk/crayon rubbed off as I was moving the quilt around.
So....in the end I finished the rest of the border free-hand. Just tried to keep the pattern as even as possible. I know there are quite a few squiggles, and some of the loops are uneven.....but then I guess it matches the quilting! LOL
I am not really happy with the whole border thing so far! But...it is finished anyway!
Next up....the binding!!

6 comments:

  1. Flo - there is a lot of success with the washable Crayola markers (just test with your fabric first). Or you can try the Press N Seal method. Draw your pattern on the Press N Seal product (in the grocery store paper aisle) and press to your fabric - then you can sew on the lines, and gently tear away the plastic wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also heard of "pouncing" a powder onto quilt stencils.
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Pounce-Pad-White-Powder/dp/B000JS2ZCO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest the pounce too, though I've never tried it. Kid markers huh!? wow. We hava a bazillion of those. And yes, not all wash out even if they say they do. Check first!
    GOod going Flo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job quilting------just stand back and look at it----great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK..I am now armed with Press N Seal....Pounce...a new marking pencil...and some Crayola markers !!
    I should be ready for anything..Maybe some test trials first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I washed the few quilts that I have machined quilted, they came out of the dryer all crinkled, soft, and pretty. Couldn't really see the lines that were not really straight,the curves that had a few bumps or the slightly uneven stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!