Saturday, February 19, 2011

Yeah!! Its the Weekend!!

Yeah, it is the weekend, and I finally have some time to sew!!  Back to the finishing of projects that I have neglected! And back to free motion quilting !!  I tried out some different gloves today. The gloves I used before were great, except they were so thick that it was hard to feel the fabric layers and also I had to take them off to change the bobbin etc.  These are surgical gloves, so very thin.

I can still feel the fabric, and wrinkles etc as well as keep them on when changing thread and bobbins !! Great!

I also had another great discovery today! This may seem totally obvious to most people but it took me awhile to figure it out. The first time I free motion quilted I had a problem every time the bobbin ran out and needed changing, because I lost my place, and couldn't find where I had left off.....so this time I put a pin in to mark the spot!
Simple, I know!  (I can't believe I didn't think about it before either !!)


I am getting better, slowly.

There are still lots of mistakes, but because I am using thread that blends and a patterned fabric on the back it is pretty forgiving. It took about 3 hours of sewing to finish the centre.

Now I have to do the borders and bindings...and it is another finish !! :)

5 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a fantastic job. I wondered how you would like those heavy gloves - you adapted nicely. You are learning and growing with each project - and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job----looks very professional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! Good for you! Your stitches look so nice and even too. You are amazing.

    Marking with a pin is brilliant.

    : )
    ~Monika
    from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubber gloves worked great for me, but made my hands sweat. I found some garden gloves at the dollar store with the palms and finger tips dipped in nitrile. I'll try them this weekend. Your beautiful results encourage me to keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!