Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lesson Learned


I finally did get back to the last quilt top that has been hidden under a pile of other things for too long. So I started pinning it together. I like the backing for this one. I tend to use a patterned backing at this point because it is much more forgiving with the free motion quilting as you cant see small mistakes and accidental crossovers so easily.

And then I decided that I would treat myself to some new pins. I like using the curved safety pin style.

I had some but didn't have a lot of them, so bought a couple of new packages.  Well, obviously the quilt gods...or maybe the Chinese factory where they were manufactured .....decided that I was not worthy of a treat! They were a night mare!! Some of the head broke right off! And lots, and lots, of them had little hooks on the end of the point!! 

YIKES! If they did go through, they caught on the batting and pulled little bits through the backing. And if I tried to pull them back out they caught again! Needless to say, I ended up throwing a lot of them away. : ( 
I was so frustrated! I did take some back and showed them to the sales clerk and she said "They just don't make them like they used to, do they" I was speechless....and for me that is saying a lot!

So I am not quite sure what the lesson I learned was #*#??? but maybe next time I will open the package and test them first, I guess ! 
But the good news is that I got the quilt top all pinned and ready to quilt! I think I will try an all over meandering pattern on this one. It is a Yellow Brick Road pattern. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. How frustrating! I had a similar experience and ended up smoothing/sharpening many of the pin tips on some sandpaper. I only pinned one quilt, then I returned to hand-stitching when basting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same! Very upsetting! Cheaper brands destroyed my quilt. I bought a more expensive brand and they are awesome! I forget the brand names though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only say, I hope you got your money back - there is no excuse for poor quality and a store should not except or sell poor quality. I don't use the curved pins - I like the basting spray for machine quilting or I hand baste with thread for handquilting.

    An all over meander will give great texture to a 'brick' quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the colors of this one...this may be my favorite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your frustration! But I'm looking forward to the finished quilt!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!