Friday, December 11, 2015

Final Applique Update: Everything is coming up TULIPS

Many of you will recognize these blocks....

this has been a very long term project. You can check back and see some of the process here.

This was my "travel project" because it was easy to pack and transport.  And I finally finished enough blocks to make the size I wanted.

So I sewed the rows together, added some borders and finished the quilt top.....

then it sat in my sewing room for a very long time, because I was afraid to start quilting it!  Does that ever happen to you?  I had put so much time and effort into the hand appliqued blocks, I was afraid that I would ruin it with the quilting!

This quilt has so much negative space...and white!! So all my stitching will show!!  YIKES!!

But my DH was out of town for a couple of weeks, so I decided my goal would be to get the quilting DONE!! where to start??

Well, with my new found skills at feathers....I thought I could figure something out!  I started with the outer edge of the tulip pattern.  I know, I know....all the quilt police will be drawing a gasp of alarm at this faux pas!  But that is what I there :)

Again, I started drawing my pattern out on paper

Once I was happy with the pattern I drew it onto the fabric with a pink quilters pencil.  Chalk wouldn't work because the fabric was white. And yes, I did test it and wash a sample first to be sure it would come out, but I was still very nervous colouring pink marks all over this!!

But all was good!

Then I worked on the centre parts of the pattern , again practicing first on paper.  I didnt use the pink pencil for these.  It got too confusing, so I actually just kept the drawing close by and went free hand (so to speak)

Not every part is exactly the same, but really, who is to know!!

I found that I could break this down into smaller segments, and just repeat them.  Not so intimidating when you take one small bite at a time!

Then on to the borders!  I wanted to try my feathers out here we go!

Not perfect, but I am pretty happy with them!

And it is finished !!  I can hardly believe it myself!

This was a long time in the works...

And I think the quilting turned out well,  I guess I didnt have to worry about it for so long!!

So my tulips are in full bloom now!

My Finish!!  linking up to TGIF at Quilt Matters

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

play mat in progress

I have had an idea in my head for awhile now for a play mat for my baby grandson.   It looked like a good idea...when it was in my head!

I must admit is a lot more work than I had anticipated.....of course that is usually what I find! Guess I don't start out with realistic expectations sometimes.

Anyway, it started with lots of sketching of ideas...

My thought was to have a kind of "peek-a-boo" mat,  where there was a picture hidden under the leaves on trees and behind rocks and grass.

 So.....first step was to create the backdrop.....a sky, a hill, a pond and a tree trunk.

I sandwiched a layer of batting and some flannelette backing and did some quick FMQ.  Some little waves in the pond, clouds in the sky and grass in the hilly parts.

So far so good!!

Then on to the added features... a smiling sun.. and a few little creatures.

I used lightweight fusible fleece on the fabric before cutting out the little creatures, and the sun, airplane etc.  For the small details like the bird wings, and eyes I used fusible interfacing then a zigzag stitch to hold them.

Then on to the tricky part. Each of these little creations had to be appliqued onto the background!  I used a zigzag stitch to applique them in place, which meant a lot of rotating the quilt around and around!  Fortunately it is a small quilt!  The "Berenstein Bears" saying kept running through my head...."And this is what you should not do !!!!"

But I did get them all attached.

And then added the covering leaves, cloud etc.

So when you peek under each leaf...there is a surprise...

under the airplane!

A bunny hiding in the bushes..

In the pond ,

 a surprise under the water lily!

I am not sure that this was really worth all the effort..but it is almost finished , and that is what he is getting for Christmas!! I just have to add the binding.

Linking up to TN&TN .  Hope everyone else is have a good week!