Friday, October 9, 2015

Crop Circles!

My goal this year was to use up a lot of fabric that was sitting waiting in my cupboard.  Pretty much so far, I have only bought fabric for borders and backing.  Not bad, eh?? (yes, I am Canadian!)

So this was another layer cake -Basic Grey - Curio.  I did buy extra fabric for the sashing for this one too.  I wanted to keep the muted colours so went with a blending kind of sashing rather than using white.  I love the soft warm look to this one.

I cut the whole layer cake across the diagonal, then added a 1-1/2" strip to one half of each pair.  Then I mixed them all up and sewed the other half together.  I did not add sashing between each block, so when I put them together it makes a really fun pattern.

 I added a 1-1/2" inner border, and a wider outer border.

I used the leftover block as an accent on the back..

I had some fun quilting this one...I used spirals!   Several to be exact, and overlapped them where they met. Or Crop Circles as I like to call them LOL
It was a little challenging moving the quilt around and around, but not as bad as I expected.

I am finding that I am having more fun with these quilts because they are not starting out as something specific or special so can play more and not worry about how they will turn out.  Strange? Maybe! But still having fun :)

I am linking up today with TGIFF..over at Quilt Matters.  Check out M-R's amazing Bubbles quilt...love it! 

6 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing with the fabric in your cupboard. This quilt is picture perfect and it always feels so good to be making items without spending extra money. Great job!!!
    Have a sensational weekend.
    Your blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you changed the HST quilt up with those strips and the circle quilting breaks up the sharp lines. Having fun in what we do is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes for using up stash! I need to do more of that too. Great quilt, Flo. I call them crop circles too -- not so fun to do, but what a great effect. Perfect palette for the Fall. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF! and for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Congratulations on using your stash! Love your circle quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to use up older fabric. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use up older fabric. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!