Friday, January 27, 2012

My Red Dress

One of the Blogs I follow is The Bloggess.  Absolutely nothing to do with quilting of fabric...or creating anything. But she is hilarious, and smart, and brave. Others have described her as "outrageous and irreverent and perhaps even a bit frightening,"  I have linked to one of her funniest stories before..the Giant Chicken...I still laugh so hard when I read this that tears roll down my cheeks!!

But her post about The Red Dress is very touching and meaningful.
“I want, just once, to wear a bright red, strapless ball gown with no apologies. I want to be shocking, and vivid and wear a dress as intensely amazing as the person I so want to be. And the more I thought about it the more I realized how often we deny ourselves that red dress and all the other capricious, ridiculous, overindulgent and silly things that we desperately want but never let ourselves have because they are simply “not sensible”.”





We each have a red dress...something that we want....something that makes us feel good, or pretty, or smart...but we know it is totally silly, or it is something that we will never actually use...... but we each have a red dress.

My Red Dress??
Pointe shoes! Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to dance in pointe shoes. I grew up on a farm, no access to ballet classes, so sadly pretended in my socks!

I did take Adult ballet classes a few times, and although they were fun...not to mention hard work and good exercise....they did not progress the Adults to pointe shoes!

So....

one day, I went and bought myself a pair of pointe shoes!

I was trying them on with all the other budding ballerinas.... 10 year old ballet students.
The sales lady kept suggesting that I check with my ballet teacher before using them....... I assured her that I would! No sense worrying her!
 Yup...and I wear them in my kitchen....and feel good !

Do you have a "Red Dress"?              If so...go and get it!

9 comments:

  1. I have just gained a new respect for you -good for you FLO!!!!! I think you are very brave too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool - good for you!
    I love your story.

    My red dress is a very expensive, decorated winter parka and real mukluks (sp?). $$$$$ maybe when I'm an old lady I'll splurge.

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I am familiar with THE BLOGGESS! I so agree with you. She is a very talented writer! She charms us with her wit while making us think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Flo-------I remember I had a red coktail dress back in the----well, just say a long time ago. I loved that dress. Think maybe I need another one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have my gorgeous red spaghetti strap red cocktail dress that I sewed, many, many years ago. My new red dress is belly dancing classes to celebrate my 75th birthday! Yay me :)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a timely and wise message, Flo. This is so true, and it is good to have someone to urge us to "live a little", -- I need to think about what my "red dress" is.. although I suspect it might have something to do with flamenco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a red dress that I love but it's a little out of date. I'm hoping for a come back. I can just see you floating around the kitchen in your ballet slippers! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flo, I love this post! It sure made me smile. I said to myself - I would love to have a chat with this fearless lady who wears pointe shoes in her kitchen! If you are ever in Winnipeg, Manitoba you must stop by for a coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!