Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of the Dragon!

Jan 23 is Chinese New Year and I have been reading so much on the internet about Chinese New Years, and the Chinese calender. And it is now the Year of the Dragon! And yes....I am a Dragon.  (well I meant I was born in the year of the Dragon...but come to think of it, my kids have used that term to describe me too Hahaha)
The Dragon  is one of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac related to the Chinese calendar  (from Wikipedia)
                                               
In fact I am; a water Dragon...and this is now a water Dragon year again. Chinese astrology is closely connected with Chinese philosophy (theory of the three harmony, heaven, earth and water).  I must admit that I don't know much about Chinese astrology or Chinese philosophy, but find it really interesting.



And....I love dragons!  There is something magical about a Dragon! They are associated with wisdom—often said to be wiser than humans—and longevity. They are commonly said to possess some form of magic or other supernatural power, and in fact dragons have been featured in history in many cultures throughout the world. There are two distinct cultural traditions of dragons: European dragons are more often winged, while Oriental versions of the dragon resemble large snakes. Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature. (fromWikipedia
                               
Me ?? I am partial to the winged Dragon myself!!   Wouldn't you like one of these....
                                  
                                       (from http://janoliehoek.com/)

3 comments:

  1. How many of those do you have?? My grandson would love one..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that it was a specific element of Dragon every 12 yrs. Cool! Water Dragon seams much less scary than 'fire breathing flyer'! ; ) Becky (Becky's Blabber), Cheryl (Grandma Coco), and myself are all finished our Year of the Dragon postcards for swapping. You should peek! THey both recently posted theirs. Mine is on flickr I think... ; )

    Happy Year of the Water Dragon! ; )
    ~Monika K.
    sewing in Saskatoon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sons call me a dragon (among other things) but I don't think they are referring to the year of the dragon - but they may find it is if they don't tidy their rooms occasionally!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!