Saturday, May 5, 2012

play time

I have been playing with my "purple patch" blocks....
this is totally random...

And this is trying some kind of order to the random...

Not sure yet, I am sure most people think they look the same !! I will have to play a bit more.

I also laid out the "Cabbages and Roses" blocks.  There will be more blocks...a 9-patch made out of the leftover jelly roll strip, that will alternate between the Squares block. I just need to decide if I like the darker colours...the red and dark blue in the mix before I make up the 9-patch blocks. So this is the combination of the  blocks so far...

I think I could live with the red, but the dark blue one doesn't fit.
The pattern used Strawberry Fields in the picture, and I loved the soft colours, and the mix of pink and teal. But I have used up all my Strawberry Fields fabric, so thought that Cabbages and Roses would be close. I must admit I am not loving this. It seems very pastelly, small flowery prints, and the blue is too "baby blue" ! I know, picky, picky! But you know when you have a picture in your head.....

This quilt may get set aside for awhile till I get over pouting about it! LOL

p.s.  I am still working on the tutorial for the Tote Bag...it is harder than I thought trying to explain what I am doing in a way that makes sense!!

9 comments:

  1. I love your quilts, the purple one is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tote bags are terrific, but I agree that writing up tutorials is difficult. My husband took pictures of my hands while I went through the steps of my Ohio Star paper piecing tutorial. (And after seeing the pictures, I was OMG I really need to moisturize! lol)

    Larry's Dad kept EVERYTHING. broken stuff, old stuff, toilet paper spindles, you name it. And he was subscribing to about 12 magazines and the daily paper. He had a buddy that would give him old Wall Street Journals, which he stacked EVERYWHERE. 31 big recycle bins of it so far and there's still so much more to do. But it looks so much better that it is a joy to visit now.

    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. great quilts .. the purple one looks fun are you going to fmq it?? I think it would be a perfect one to try a new design out on.
    Have a great weekend
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are having fun. I prefer the totally random layout for the purple blocks. Keep playing and having fun. I can't wait to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that purple....the other isn't coming through for me right now, but I will look again later. I really like the look of the purple...I prefer #2...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the order to the random with the darker purples through the center.
    Very picky indeed, but I totally get what you mean when you want a quilt to look a certain way and it doesn't.
    Maybe try saying what you're doing to someone else and have them write the tutorial for you? =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are allowed to be picky when you are the one doing the making. If you don't change it till you like it chances are you will never like it and what a shame that would be - keep experiementing. You will come up with something you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the "random" lay out the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both layouts. I love purple.
    I don't know what to suggest for the Cabbage and Roses. I looks forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!