Saturday, April 16, 2011

Country Kitchen Cozy

I have had a jelly roll for some time now, but just wasn't sure what to do with it. Then I saw a picture of a jelly roll quilt on Sharon' s blog Vrooman's quilts, and she was kind enough to share the directions with me. It was her Jelly Roll Race Project. It looked like something quick and fun....so that is what I decided to try.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION!!*******
I missed one very important step when explaining this. 
After you have sewn all the strips into one long piece CUT OFF 18" FROM ONE END. This is important so that the ends are randomly scattered when you start to sew it together. Then fold it in half and sew a quarter inch seam down one side.
Full directions are here;
http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/?p=1897



The first thing you do is shuffle the jelly roll strips, so they aren't all in order of color.....or in my case, because I cant do random..... order the strips to mix the colors..red, blue, yellow, etc.

Then you sew them all together on the diagonal - end to end- (like sewing binding together) ...yes it is long!! 40 strips makes about 1600"...quite a pile!!

Now cut 18" off one end of the strip ! (important step)
Then place the ends right side together and sew the whole length, cutting the strip apart at the end to finish the seam. So now it is only 800" ...whew, so much better! : )
Then keep repeating for a total of 5 times. Each time the seam gets shorter.

Then press all the seams in the same direction, and trim the even the edges.
I am adding a narrow off white border and then a wider dark blue border, just because I love borders, but you don't have to add borders to this.

Of course the fabric I had picked out for the backing was a bit too small, but I found some really cute blue on the half price wall at the quilting store! I love it, and it looks great with the colors on the top. I have it all layered and pinned, ready to try out my free motion skills again !

These colors are a little out of my usual range, but wanted to play with something a little different. I actually think it looks a bit Country Kitchen Cozy. I really like it, it is very bright and fun. I have a nephew getting married soon, so thought a nice home made gift would be a good idea for them. Hope they like it!

5 comments:

  1. How Fun!! I love this pattern because you use all the fabric, no waste. I cannot wait to see what you have when it is all done. Just love what I can see of the 'Country Cozy'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great so far - can't wait to see the completed project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have the directions for the quilt that you shared with Butterfly Quilting. I had a bit of a problem following her directions. Are you willing to share it again?

    Thanks
    VGL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun way to use those jelly rolls! I've seen it also with solid color squares joining the strips together instead of sewing them diagonally.

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you will show the finished quilt. You used a very pretty jelly roll.
    LaDonna's suggestion of solid squares joining the strips together sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!