Friday, November 8, 2013

Mountain view

I have finished the quilt that I was making for my daughter.  As you may remember.. she lost everything, including 4 of my quilts....when Calgary was flooded in June. (See previous post for pictures and details)

Just as an update, reconstruction on her apartment is under-way, and hopefully she can move back in early December! It has been a long hard summer for her, but she will have a brand new place, which will be exciting! I think she will miss out on the "One Slab" quilts because  she isn't back in the flood area yet, so wont be there when they are distributed. A big thank you, though, to Patti.....a quilting friend ...for donating a quilt for her...she loves it and has been using it a lot!

Anyway,  I wanted to get a new quilt done for her too...and here it is..

The pattern is from Moda Bake Shop..called S'more Mountains.  I didn't add the appliqué bits of trucks and cars though.

This went together well, but I commented before on how disappointed I was with the amount of waste in making the blocks. For each striped block I had to trim off about 2".  I had some great suggestions on using these bits for the binding or on the back...all good ideas. ...but didn't happen :(
I should have tried, but I was in a hurry to get this one finished and just didn't take the time. Maybe next time I will try to be more creative.  Now I need to think of a project for all the bits! Maybe some pillows to go with the quilt???

It has some fun fabric..sort of newpaper print fabric. ..

The backing is some flannel that I thought would make it especially warm and cozy..

The quilting is hard to see, but is just straight lines following the blocks.
I am really happy with it. It is not exactly the same as her "coffee quilt" that she lost, but does incorporate some of the same fabric, so hope she likes it.

Linking up to TGIFF...over at  Quokka Quilts..
                                                           
      

6 comments:

  1. It is lovely Flo, and good news that she will be back into her place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in your quilt! Patterns that waste a lot of fabric drive me crazy too. And happy to hear your daughter will be in her own home soon. It's been a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog and the lovely quilts-especially the smores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little Christmas stocking stuffers were really cute. Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't mind winning those fat quarters either. Very nice fabric. I live in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle..you are a no reply blogger, so I can't reach you, but please go over and leave a comment on the Blogathon page so that your entry will be included. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!