I decided to try out using a template for the border on this quilt. I had bought this one quite awhile ago, before I actually knew what to do with it !!!
The helpful lady at the quilt store explained that you mark the template onto the quilt with chalk, so I also bought some chalk to mark it on the border. I tried 3 different kinds, one is called a magic crayon (and I really, really, really hope that it washes out like they say it does !!!)
But...I had a lot of trouble.
First of all, the pattern on the template had 4 "loops" which didn't make a lot of sense to me, because it would be difficult to continuously quilt it that way....so I modified it and only went with 3 loops.
Next, the chalk/crayon. It didn't seem to mark very well, or very easily. ...and it broke....It was taking a long time to mark, and even though I only did one side at a time, some of the chalk/crayon rubbed off as I was moving the quilt around.
So....in the end I finished the rest of the border free-hand. Just tried to keep the pattern as even as possible. I know there are quite a few squiggles, and some of the loops are uneven.....but then I guess it matches the quilting! LOL
Next up....the binding!!