Monday, April 23, 2012

Dora....the orphan Dora..

We made another road trip to Sedona. It is absolutely stunning...

and at sunset the cliff actually glow....amazing!


It is pretty touristy though, lots of little souvenir shops, and the hotels are expensive! But still worth seeing. And of course they also had a quilt shop, so had to make a quick stop there!!

When we left Sedona, we made a short side trip to Jerome, not far away. It was an old mining town (copper), but now is a very fun, artsy kind of place up at the top of a hill. It is actually at over 5,000 ft elevation (one mile) which gives a great name to a local restaurant... the Mile High Grill & Inn..

There are lots of great little shops, and a few artists outside on the sidewalk. One of these artists is Janie Layers....


She has a studio in the Old Jerome High School and sells her work in several shops in Arizona. (she gave permission to take pictures)
She makes the most amazing animals out of clay! My favourite...this little donkey....I named her Dora!

Isn't she just adorable?? But I couldn't buy her ...she wouldn't fit into my suitcase...so I had to leave her there. My husband now refers to her as "the orphan Dora" because I left her there. So if you are ever in the area, please stop by and visit her! I am sure she is not lonely, though, she has many friends around her. Maybe you will bring one of them home with you!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos of Sedona ! I have actually been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Dora says thank you! for mentioning her in your blog. Her name is officially Dora now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! Funny how you found a quilt shop there. The little animals are so cute! =D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!