Friday, April 27, 2012

Totes for Two

I love these tote bags! They are so quick and easy to sew up, and make great gifts..

We are going to a birthday party toight for my daughters MIL. She is turning 70, still doing some teaching for the College of Education (she is a retired teacher) , and doing lots of travelling. And besides, who can't use another pretty tote bag!!

Our local Fabricland had a whole wall of discount decorator fabrics. Lots of it on sale for $2 -$3 dollars/meter (just over a yard). So I bought a yard of two different colors, and for a total of about $6 had enough to make 2 tote bags. The second bag is actually a bit smaller, and I think I might like that size even better. For that one I started with panels that were 14"x20", instead of 15"x22".   The original pattern was from an old quilting magazine, (Izzy & Ivy Design)



 I have made a few modifications as I make more of them, but it is a great bag!

I use bukrum as interfacing. It is very stiff, so gives the tote bags a lot of body...they will stand up by themselves.  And I have fun picking out the buttons for them !!

I have made a lot of these. Sometimes I add a key fob, or sometimes I make a little pouch to snap onto the bag. Great gifts...and quick and easy!

TGIFF is over at Quilt Monster in my Closet this week! Go check it out!! I am going to link this up as my "finish" !!


14 comments:

  1. Ok, my birthday is in July!!!!! I think you should do a tutorial on this bag. I would love to make one. If that is possible?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those bags! Great fabric choices. I have a bunch of drapery fabrics that would be perfect as totes. What is bukrum? I've never heard of it. So glad you linked up, Flo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is going to be thrilled with her gift! You did a beautiful job with these, love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great! Love the warm tones and those buttons! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these bags look wonderful - you are clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as always your bags are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these bags!!! and thank you for linking up with TGIFF! Appreciate all the support!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great gift! (BTW, I came in from TGIFF where I have a finish-of-sorts)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift! (BTW, I came in from TGIFF where I have a finish-of-sorts)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabrics you used for your bags. Though I'm no expert, have a look at Etsy's Seller Handbook, it really helps! http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/category/seller-handbook/

    ReplyDelete
  11. great totes! I'm sure your daughter's MIL will be very pleased :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!