Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Next up on the play list....hour glass

As you may know, I generally avoid all things pointy in my quilting! I am just not patient or careful enough to be that exact. But in my new spirit of adventure with baby quilts....I decided  to tackle the hour glass block!

I had seen lots of these on Pinterest, and especially loved one over at Cluck Cluck Sew.  I also had a beautiful little bundle of pink/white Robert Kaufman "Pristine".

I am not really a pink person, but just loved the soft, romantic, almost Victorian look to this fabric. I bought it quite awhile ago...just waiting for the perfect idea..and here it is!

I am sure there are many ways to make the hour glass block, but here is how I did it.. starts off just like a HST...  I started with 5"squares..and equal number of pink and plain white...match them together RST.

Draw a diagonal line across the corners,

 and sew a 1/4" seam on each side of the line.

You can actually chain these, so it goes very quickly..

Then cut on the diagonal line,
 and then turn and cut across the other diagonal as well.

 Press them open and match them up to make 2 little hour glass blocks..
When you press them open,be sure to press them all to the dark side, so they fit together better..

Although I generally dont bother with trimming, I did for these little blocks,

and it made a big difference when I started sewing them together...so easy...they were all the perfect size!! Who knew??

So , starting with 5" squares, I finished with 4 1/4" blocks.....and all my little pointy bits are looking pretty good too!!

So linking up to TN&TN  and Freshly Pieced WIP!


11 comments:

  1. Playing with pinks and points -- exploring something that doesn't usually attract you -- I'm thinking you've done a lovely job and have a new addiction -- er, habit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dette var virkelig et nydelig arbeid ! Og for noen delikate farger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicate looking. A new process (and glad you learned to trim your blocks) and new block - expanding your horizons as a quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I love a quilt made with hourglass blocks. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo, nice matching seams. Everyone is sewing pink, must be a spring thing, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice:) I'm not fond of pink either but I love the fabric that you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! And such an easy method!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, love the colours, and your piecing is very accurate - you had nothing to be afraid of.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!