Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Ugly Fat Quarter Challenge

We have a new Modern Quilt Guild here in Saskatoon...and it is really a great bunch...with some interesting things going on!!  If you are nearby..you should join in the fun!
                                            My Button

We had an "Ugly Fat Quarter" Challenge. Each person brought a "what was I thinking" fat quarter from their stash, and threw them into the mix, then drew out a fat quarter and the challenge was to make something useful.

Well, I certainly got the better end of this deal...considering the ugly fat quarter that I offered..  And this is the one that I got in return!.....not so ugly at all!!.

After browsing Pinterest for ideas, I decided this would be a good opportunity to practice my HST! What do I have to loose? Besides I had a lot of left over 4" squares, and odds and ends of white fabric..so I started cutting.  I used a technique I have seen on some blogs for the HST. I matched them , right sides together, and drew a diagonal line..then sewed 1/4" seam on each side of the line...

Cut down the line to make two triangles..

and sew them together to make a pinwheel..

I sure need the practice matching my points...but for the most part they are ok.

And I am a firm believer in the "if you cant notice the mistake when you ride past on a horse ...it is OK!!!"

Anyway, I alternated the ugly fat quarter with some pretty yellow blocks to brighten it up...

I quilted it with straight lines, through each pin wheel block,  1/2"inside the seam. I found the centres of the pin-wheels are quite bulky with all the seams meeting there, so wanted to avoid quilting over that area..

Then on the borders I thought I would try some FMQ butterflies... (some of them are probably more closely related to a silk worm than a butterfly...but I did get better!!)


....and Voila!   .....Something useful...and it used every inch of the fat quarter.
It finished about 40" x 40".

I backed it with cozy flannelette, and used the same flannelette for the binding.

I am planning to donate this to the Children's Cottage Network in Calgary , where my daughter works. I won't tell them it is an ugly fat quarter!! LOL

17 comments:

  1. You certainly got a very pretty 'ugly' and just love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love it. The butterfly quilting is just the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree:) It's not ugly at all. I do think that it really is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I think you created something very special with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did get good "ugly" LOL, what is ugly to one is not to another. It turned out really good

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great this one is. And I needed the inspiration for a quick baby quilt. Thanks.
    Love your ugly fabric and you did a super job with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. It's always interesting how some of those (not so) ugly fabrics can look great chopped up and used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's lovely! I like the quilting on it--the butterflies are lovely! And I like how the straight lines create a mini pinwheel in the centre. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done Flo, and the butterflies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are no uglies in your little quilt, it's so sweet. Love your butterfly quilting in the border. We are doing something similar in our Bee, we exchanged one yard pieces and we have to make something and then give it back to them at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's beautiful!!! I love it with the yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that turned out so nice! And what a nice gift for the Children's Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well now you know that I had no idea what an ugly fat quarter was, but I figured it out. You certainly made something wonderful out of it...not only pretty, but so generous and needed I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work at turning an ugly into a pretty. I still haven't tackled my project yet but I hope I'm able to produce something even half as nice.

    What a nice purpose for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's pretty! I love these ugly fat quarter challenges... they really do save them! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Как у вас чудесно в блоге!
    Спасибо за вдохновенные квилты!
    Мне они очень нравятся.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!