Saturday, January 8, 2011

Baffled by Batting !

Well my goal this month is to finish a few of the quilts that are lying around my sewing room. So ...when there was a 50% off sale at the fabric store I thought it was a good time to stock up on batting.  As a beginner here, I was a bit unsure about what is the best kind of batting to use. I have used high loft polyester batting for most of the baby quilts, to give them a bit more cushion if they are used on the floor.


for tote bags and placemats I have used "warm and white" or "warm and natural" and that seemed to work out well.

For those quilt tops that have been patiently waiting I bought a cotton / poly blend - Warm Bond, made by the same company that makes Warm and Natural. This should keep me going for awhile ....ok a long long time!!

It states that it is an 80 cotton/20 polyester  Bonded quilt batting without any glues or resins, and it shrinks less  (only 3%) than the 100% cotton batting(5%), which I thought was probably a good thing for a larger quilt???
If anybody had any good advise I would appreciate it!
Maybe a good Tips on Tuesday topic....hint hint !! : )

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 50% off is such a good deal! My favorite batting is Quilters Dream batting in both their 100% cotton and their blend. It smooths out so nicely and drapes wonderfully and is great to sew through either by hand or machine. Love your totes and purses!
    LaDonna
    P.S. I don't see an email to contact you so I'll let you know by comment...I've tagged you for a fun blog award. Check out my blog on Sunday for the details!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!