Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chubby Charmer Bag Fun!

I am actually down in Fountain Hills (Phoenix area) for a couple of weeks. And no, there is no snow here!! In fact it was warm enough for a dip in the pool today :)

But on Saturday, I spent the day at a LQS, Quiltz, here in Phoenix.  There was a class, taught by Barb Spitanly, making a Chubby Charmer Bag...

It was fun meeting some other quilters, and actually producing something so pretty and functional as well.  The class was based on a pattern by Penny Sturgis,

but Barb has added a few little touches, like using "Soft and Stable" as interfacing. It makes the bag very sturdy, but still soft...mmmm....I guess that is what soft and stable means, right?

Anyway, I used some leftovers from my "Arizona Gold" quilt (and no the quilt is not finished yet!!)

The lining has pockets on both sides...and a hard matte board insert for the bottom...

and there are little snaps inserted on the sides to close it up a bit.

I am really happy with this bag! It was quick and easy to make, and such a great size for packing up projects, or taking a quilt to guild for show and tell!

In fact, as I was leaving I found this fabric...

Wouldn't this be spectacular for another one of these bags?? I couldn't resist...had to get some!

10 comments:

  1. I've been to Quiltz, Flo. It is such a nice store, with the big windows, friendly staff and tons of fabric! We've gone to Phoenix a few times, but I never thought of taking a class. Did you bring your machine down there with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag! It looks like a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely bag, Flo!! I could see that making it's way here just in time for Christmas.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the process of creating a new bag for myself, especially to carry quilt stuff in! Yours would be perfect! I will 'design' my own though, but will snitch a few hints from yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bag, Flo. Maybe after the holidays...
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful bag. Will have to check out this soft and stable interfacing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I'm visiting from the Canadian blogathon. Great bag! And I love your quilt with the olive green a few posts back. I keep all those little half square triangles. One day when I have enough I'll make a quilt from them. Or maybe I should just turn them into mug rugs now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flo,
    You do such beautiful bags and quilts- I love the green quilt that you posted not long ago and this bag is magnificent.
    I hope that you have met some new quilty blog friends from the Canadian blog athon. There have been some wonderful things to see and wonderful work out in blogland.
    Regards from Edmonton,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!